Ron’s layout in his shed

“Hi Al, thought you would be interested in some pics of my layout, I built this layout over the last 12 months in my 6ftx6ft shed, I didn’t have much room as you can imagine, so I just made it up as I went, I tried to get as much in without making it look overdone, the buildings I made from the Metcalf range and the rest from scatter materials etc. Iwired the layout for dcc, and the lighting is 12v-6v-3v, all the 12v is run from an old computer power pack that I converted, all the locos have sound fitted exept the little jinty, all the locos were scrapped and cut up by BR, the only one to survive was the jinty.
Thanks for all your info and tips and ideas from this web site.

Cheers Ron, Manchester.”

“Hi Al,

Never done an entire loco thank heavens, the time commitment must be huge, but I have had to make a couple of simple chassis sort-of from scratch, albeit using commercial axles, wheels, gears etc. The first was to replace a cast whitemetal chassis block in a loco kit which seemed to have been cast with the sides at an angle to each other, quite unsalvageable. I had tried sending it back as a complaint only to be told the pre-drilled axle holes were “supposed” to be breaking out through the bottom of the casting on one side “to make it easier for you to fit springing”! Yeah, right.

The second one was because a mate turned up with an old K’s kit of a GER tram-engine (like Toby the tram engine) which wouldn’t run. All it was, the body was a little low one end and the cowcatcher was fouling the rails and shorting out. It just needed a little Plasticard pad sticking onto the chassis mount, so I did that, held it in place for a count of thirty, said “There, fixed it!” and whipped my fingers away – needless to say I had superglued the plastic to a bit of skin as well, and the whole chassis flew into the air, tore the skin loose, and fell to the tiled floor with a resounding bang. It was one of those old K’s ones with the motor sides and bearings glued together and integral with the frames, so a total write-off (I couldn’t get the motor to run again properly, although I did try). You should have seen his little face, a proper picture, so I had to replace it.

The replacement was made from 16th brass frames, bolted together for drilling of axle positions and tube spacers, and fitted with flanged bearings, reamed for Romford axles. The old chassis was a four-wheeler but the real things were six-coupled so I thought I’d do it right, although there was no point adding cylinders and running gear as they would be behind the side-skirts. I used a Branchlines slimline gearbox/motor mount and a Mashima motor, and added little black ‘platforms’ either end to form floors for the driving cabs. For some reason, the model had never had a chimney, I think the real ones were just stovepipe-type but all I had in the junkbox was a cast one for a GWR King, so that had to do, capuchon and all. That was a bit of a departure from prototype, so I painted the finished loco blue and brown and moulded a little face onto the end in low-melt solder, sculpted with the iron and a bit of chasing with a ball cutter in the minidrill – great fun but wear goggles.

The photo shows the new chassis in the foreground, the reassembled old chassis and tidied-up body behind, and a Reverend Awdry book for livery reference!



I was wondering if you’d like to feature my newly repainted 28xx by hornby?

It’s not finished but I hand painted it and it’s going GWR wartime black,

I’ve attached some photos for you


Mike aged 16″

And the latest from Dangerous Dave:

Latest ebay cheat sheet is here.

Big thanks to Rod and Ron! And of course, Dangerous Dave. Don’t know what it is about his stuff, but it’s always very watchable.



5 Responses to Ron’s layout in his shed

  1. “Dangerous” Dave’s stuff is “always watchable” due to
    plenty of action, great camera work, great scenery, and,
    most of all, plenty of VARIETY. I always love watching, even though I only understand half of his dialogue (not
    his fault).
    Keep it all coming.

  2. Mike you have done an excellent job there , and Ron you have a nice layout there in your shed and well done on the repair work

  3. nice job on the paintwork

  4. Ron, you certainly have what it takes to be a Model Railroader: the creativity to make things up as you go along ( in a very good way ) and the ability to put it all together, nicely I might add. Rod you also have worked hard to find ways to bring things together. Mike has done a fine job and I wish I had his ability when I was a young man. Keep up the very good work. Lastly, Dave has again showed his fine work in our craft. He sets a high mark for us to follow. Dave, you have done great work!


  5. Nice work Ron. The small layout looks great and has all the features of most large layouts. I am impressed with your work….well done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>