Good DCC??

admin
Site Admin

Good DCC??

Post by admin »

Posting for Rob:

I am new to DCC.

Is there a good make / model / sytemm to start with?
graywolf06

Re: Good DCC??

Post by graywolf06 »

Look at the NCE Powercab. It can run about 4 HO trains at once and can be upgraded if your layout get very large without you losing the cost of your original purchase. They are available for under $200. Also you can accomplish any programing you may want to do. The programing is not possible with some other units such as Bachmann which you may be tempted to purchase.
bsuarez

Post by bsuarez »

I agree, the NCE Power Cab is a great way to start.

As my layout grew I added the SB5 booster to run more locos simultaneously. When you do this the Power Cab operates as a Pro Cab on the "boosted" layout but can still function as the Power Cab separately.

I also took the power supply and fascia panel for the Power Cab and setup a separate programming track where I can work on a loco independently of the main layout.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I use the PowerCab as well, but one which is radio-equipped, that talks to the RB02 transceiver that plugs into the Cab bus on the SB5 Smart Booster. This way, I am free to roam the layout whilst maintaining control over running trains (the PowerCab allows control over 6 locomotive addresses before you've got to use the "Select Loco" button to gain control over a seventh). Plus, each loco address can be used to control a consist with multiple locos, which raises the limit of controllable units on a "round robin" basis using the "Recall" button.
Roger C

Post by Roger C »

I’ve had the Z21 now for 4 years and it’s very good.
I love the way I can walk round without wires as the handset is either my iPhone or iPad. I have a separate programme track as there are two outputs. You can store literally 100’s of locos. If you have visitors you can connect their phones and give them control.
Separately on another layout I have an arduino uno running DCC ++ ex which is really good and free! it hooks up using a raspberry pi and initially JMRI but liking the idea of using my iPhone as a controller I use WiThrottle which allows up to 8 trains to be listed. This is an excellent but cheap system. The whole system will cost less than a £100 to put together maybe only £50 if you have an old screen keyboard and mouse lying round.
Roger
rdwarrior

Post by rdwarrior »

I knew nothing about DCC, and not much about model railroading in general, when I decided to plunge into it. I am using the Digitrax Zephyr DCS52 Starter controller, and found it very easy to learn and use. The instructions were easy to understand, and I am able to learn how to view and change the CV's, and identify what decoder is in various locomotives I have purchased. Simple to re-program any locomotive, and the cost was under $200.
So far, I have run 4 locomotives together, and that will probably be all I ever need. If I grow larger, I will obviously upgrade my DCC capabilities, but this is easy to use now. I currently have 7 locomotives with various decoders, and they all work well with the Digitrax unit.