MTH DCS system

Gene-S

MTH DCS system

Post by Gene-S »

Hi guys, and Gals,
I recently got interested in Model Trains again after a 50 year hiatus and I find that all has changed. Now everything is digital. Since I started out with Lionel O gage and my old trains still run I decided to stay with that scale. However, Lionel DCC is not compatible with MTH and none of the others seem to be compatible either. I found that MTH DCS is advertised as compatible with pretty much all others and even claims that you can drive your 1950's models on the same tracks with Lionel and MTH trains. Well I have purchased some new Lionel and MTH engines and I want them to all run on the same system. I might isolate the line that runs the 1950's locomotives but they will be in the same layout.

Now to my question. Does anyone on this feed have first hand experience with the DCS control system? What is the minimum set of DCS components that I need to have a fully functional control system. I have a small Lionel transformer and enough Easy Track to make a small layout to start but I want to be able to run trains from both manufacturers. I think my new Lionel trains will run with Bluetooth so I may not need anything for them, but not with my MTH trains I see adds for a unit that responds to your WIFI in the DCS system which may be enough for starters if I can get it to work with my Lionel transformer. It looks like there is another component that is needed but I am not sure.

Can anyone here help me? Thanks