Flex track

admin
Site Admin

Flex track

Post by admin »

Posting for Kim:

Why is flex track so difficult to cut??? Is there a good wayto do it without losing your fingers.
bsuarez

Re: Flex track

Post by bsuarez »

Some people use a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool. I have good luck with rail nippers and a file to clean up the edges.

Try these: https://smile.amazon.com/Cutters-Xuron- ... 175&sr=8-3
SealionSteve

Post by SealionSteve »

I have found the Xuron track cutter works well. Quite expensive (but oddly cheaper in the UK than in the US where they are made, looking at amazon.co.uk v amazon.com) but should last. You will probably need to tidy up the rail ends using a few strokes of a needle file after making the cut. I have also used a razor saw, but find they blunt quite quickly and are slower than the Xuron, of course. Some razor saws are not designed for cutting metal, so check before buying.

Cutting disks are good too, as bsuarez suggests, but make sure you wear eye protectors when using them as the disks can shatter.

By the way, if your layout is set in a time before continuous welded rail and your stock has metal wheels, putting a *small* nick in the railtops every scale 60 ft with a razor saw gives a nice "clicketty-clack" sound as trains pass by. Rail gaps were about 60 ft in the UK, not sure for other countries!
Last edited by SealionSteve on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quacker

Post by Quacker »

SealionSteve
Thanks for the information about the "clickety-clack". Can one cut both rails with a 1/32 inch cut all the way through the rails?

Thanks
Ms. Jackie
Ms. Jackie
New Mexico, USA
SealionSteve

Post by SealionSteve »

Hi, yes you can cut both rails (just a small nick in the top surface is all you need, don't cut all the way through the rail). You can probably get the same effect by just doing it in 1 rail but it's usually easy to do both at the same time, if there isn't anything in the way.

Hope that helps!
SealionSteve

Post by SealionSteve »

Ms Jackie, have just been reading your post in another thread re track gaps to deal with expansion due to heat, and I see now why you were asking about cutting right through the rails. Here in Lincolnshire, UK we call 70 degrees a hot day!

I'd suggest doing alternate "nicks" in the surface and cuts right through, with the type of cut staggered in the opposite rail so you don't have complete gaps opposite, except where one length of track joins another.

You'll obviously need to have separate power feeds somewhere in each section of track.

Regards

Steve