Why solder track? Will it help?

admin
Site Admin

Why solder track? Will it help?

Post by admin »

Posting for Paul:

What's the advantage in soldering my track joints? Should I do this or just stick to rail joiners?
bsuarez

Re: Why solder track? Will it help?

Post by bsuarez »

Rail joiners can loosen up and do not conduct as well as soldered joints.

Now that being said, the rail joiners do allow for expansion/contraction which is also important so a combination of both approaches is best.
Swampy

Re: Why solder track? Will it help?

Post by Swampy »

I prefer not to rely on rail joiners for an electrical coonection as they tend to suffer from the effects temperatre and humidity changes, often resulting in tarnishing and/or loose connections. Soldering the track join solves this problem quickly and easily, but also prevents the joint moving with expansion and contraction. This is not a significant problem on a short section of track, but you will need an expansion joint every metre or so.
Soldering a short loop of wire between the adjacent sections will overcome this, the wire can be hidden under the ballast or run under the baseboard, but for me the real answer is, having soldered these wires to the track, use them as droppers to a bus wire under the baseboard or along the edge of it. This way you get a constant power feed all round the layout.