Suspended Layouts

Bill in Virginia

Suspended Layouts

Post by Bill in Virginia »

Looking for some expert advice. I’m thinking of being able to lift my 2 4x8 sections if my HO layout toward the ceiling in garage to make space for yet another layout. Weight is not an issue as I built it purposely lite. The legs detach so that is no problem either. What I need advice on is the mechanism to get it up being a one man show. I’ve thought about cables and an electric winch or boat trailer manual winch. I’ve thought about a block and tackle set up. What have others used with success? Any and all advice is appreciated 😃. Thx Bill
werner

Re: Suspended Layouts

Post by werner »

Hi Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Jxilt7Wkc
This is the coolest setup have seen.
Slot car layout, but the idea is fantastic.

Here is another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNEcdaGnYE
Also check out the scenery on this layout.
Awesome stuff.
I too will be moving my slot car track this year in similar fashion.
As with any type layout Bigger is Better. Now its time for 60s type Road and Rail.
george from LI

Post by george from LI »

Bill
I think you are a cautious guy and I love your stuff.
So be careful here because structural stability of the baseboard is critical. The stresses when on the floor will be totally different when lifted by cables. Model train tracks, turnouts, and scenery dont like change either temperature or stress. IMO it is not the design of a cable system -thats easy- its the design of the layout structure that really cant change its shape by even a little.
Just tp prove a point it would be better to build a stiff platform with the layout on it and lift the platform up to the ceiling- Then what do you do with the legs.
If you built a welded steel frame, like a bed frame, and you lift by the frame is probably the best idea. Tabulation of all the weight will surprise you.
LMK how it works out
George
Bill in Virginia

Post by Bill in Virginia »

Hi guys and thanks for the information. Yes I had not contemplated the layout frame. I built it on the lite side to sit on 5 legs but not to be suspended about 8 feet off the garage floor.

I will have to think about that piece of it. Right off hand thinking can use some C channel stock and make a large ‘I’ plate form that supports the edge but then also supports the center spine of the layout