Track & sub-track

Swense

Track & sub-track

Post by Swense »

I ama beginner at this. Here are 2 initial questions regarding track.

How is track fixed to layout board?
What, if anything, is between layout board and track?

Thank you.
bsuarez

Re: Track & sub-track

Post by bsuarez »

There are multiple possible approaches but I use cork roadbed, nailed to the platform. If you are using a foam platform you would need to glue the cork to the foam platform.

I typically use nails to hold the track down, through the cork to the platform. Again if you are using a foam platform then I would suggest you glue the track to the cork as there will not be enough to hold the nails. You can hold in place with push pins while the glue dries.
John

Post by John »

I used the thin foam underlay that I got when laying my vinyl plank flooring
I cut lengths to the shape of the rails and used track screws to secure it to the baseboard, you need a Archimedes drill ( can be bought on eBay ) to drill the small hole for the screw. I find this is very good if , like me you want to change some of the route you just unscrew the rails and start again.
DonRenner

Post by DonRenner »

I picked up some green material at Lowes that is to be used on decking and look like grass. It is very short fuzzy like material and lays down on the board very well. I would say it is more like felt material and looks like grass on the layout.
DonRenner
DonRenner

Post by DonRenner »

Hi all, I'm an old newbie (84 years old) starting out on a new adventure of railroading. I'm at the design stage and trying to fit it all into a space of 4 feet x 6 feet using N gauge. I would like to incorporate some mountains and different elevations in the track levels.
I'm intrigued with the idea of using a figure eight. What is the size of the setup Peter is working on? Where can I find an overhead drawing of the plan?
I look forward to your emails Alastair. Well done Sir.
Don Renner