N scale too small??

admin
Site Admin

N scale too small??

Post by admin »

Posting for Reggie:

I don't have much room for a track so I have been thinking about N scale. I'm 71 years young. Is N scale too fiddly and mainly for younger eyes and fingers? I don't want to spend and then find out it's just too small to work on
scenicsRme

Re: N scale too small??

Post by scenicsRme »

I've got you beat by 4 years, and I'm building a large elaborate new N scale layout at this moment. Depends on what you mean by "work on" and how dexterous you are. Eye's aren't a problem, there are plenty of good vision aids out there. It's the hands that make a difference. You really don't have to "work on" a layout any more than you want or can accomplish. N scale is the up and coming scale in the hobby today licking at the heels of HO's popularity. You can buy plenty of good ready to run rolling stock and locos, track is large enough to lay without difficulty by all but the most ham fisted of us. Wiring is actually easier with DCC than it was with old DC powerpacks and transformers, and there are a number of sources for good looking ready made structures if you can't/don't want to build your own. The space requirements of N scale is what drew me to that scale, you can actually build a good looking realistic operating layout on a standard hollow core door, or a 12" wide shelf along a wall. Increasing the space to the standard 4' x 8' of a minimally workable HO scale layout and you can become a railroad barron in n scale, no need to be limited to the around the xmas tree toy train looking layouts in n scale.
Quacker

Post by Quacker »

I am 75 and started to work with N scale. I do have a space limitation therefor the N scale. It may take me a little longer that the young people, but I do get it done. Also, with the smaller scale the mistakes are not as easy to see. You may want to get Al's buildings. It took me several building before I was getting them right. Treat them like a test.
Ms. Jackie
Ms. Jackie
New Mexico, USA
smiggy

Post by smiggy »

N gauge is undeniably small and can be a pain in the bum to work on, but too small - no. Only my rooms are too small! When I got my layout the track was already down and I just did some small mods to get it to the desired layout. Building the rest of it was quite easy once I'd decided on the image I wanted. Building all the scenery was easy enough using plastic and card kits and the family contributed bits and bobs, mostly at Christmas and birthdays. This was mostly vehicles and people, it took a magnifying glass but I could read the number plates on most of the cars and buses!
A lot of my rolling stock is over 15 years old and the engines can take a lot of maintenance to keep them working smoothly (if at all). This does require steady hands and whole lot of patience. That said the stuff being produced now is lightyears ahead and runs smoothly and silently and just needs keeping clean. And the detail is, again, fantastic. All the other problems like wiring and keeping it all working are about the same whatever the scale.
Now, if you really want a challenge look up T gauge - 3mm wide tracks!!
Cheers
smiggy