Common return when wiring solenoids?

SealionSteve

Common return when wiring solenoids?

Post by SealionSteve »

I am running analogue rather than DCC. I intend to use a high-power CDU and a diode matrix to operate up to 6 points simultaneously using Peco solenoid motors to set the road for any one of 7 storage loops in my "fiddle yard", with the option of switching between my 2 main running lines at the same time if going via the centre storage road.

I have constructed and tested the diode matrix so by pressing one push-to-make switch I can set up a route through the fiddle yard loops. The only issue I found was that I was using wires a bit too feeble for the current needed to throw more than a couple of points at once. Using heavier gauge wire seems to have sorted out that issue, but I have a question about wiring to the point motors.

Can I run a single wire the 12 feet or so from the CDU to the 7 solenoids at the far end of the storage loops, using short lengths of wire from the end of that single wire to connect to all 7 "common" terminals on the solenoids, or must I run a separate wire the whole 12 feet to each solenoid's "common" terminal? If I can use a single wire for the common terminal on all 7 solenoids, should it be the same gauge as the wire used for the "route A/route B" terminals, or does it need to be much heftier?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Steve
bsuarez

Re: Common return when wiring solenoids?

Post by bsuarez »

Steve,

You should be fine using the "buss" approach of a heavy gauge common line with "feeders" off of it for each of the solenoids.

Good design by the way.

Bill
SealionSteve

Re: Common return when wiring solenoids?

Post by SealionSteve »

Thanks Bill!