CROSSOVER SECTION DELEMA

pops.somerfield

CROSSOVER SECTION DELEMA

Post by pops.somerfield »

I FIND MYSELF IN A BIT OF A ‘PICKLE’ AND COULD USE SOME HELP.
I’M IN THE PROCESS OF DESIGNING A LAYOUT WHICH WILL HAVE 2 SEPARATE SECTIONS, A SWITCH YARD AND MAINLINE, USING SEPARATE DC CAB CONTROLS FOR EACH.(I’M A BIT OF AN “OLD SCHOOLER”) I WOULD LIKE TO INCORPORATE A CROSSOVER TRACK JOINING BOTH SECTIONS BUT BY DOING SO I CREATE A “REVERSING SECTION” BECAUSE POLARITIES OF EACH SECTION ARE IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.
BY USING AN ATLAS #200 RELAY (CONTROLLED BY A SPDT MOMENTARY SWITCH), I CAN DIRECT POWER TO THE CROSSOVER FROM EITHER THE SWITCH YARD CAB OR MAINLINE CAB, KNOWING THAT THE SECTION I’M ENTERING NEEDS TO BE SET IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION (FORWARD OR REVERSE) OF THE SECTION I’M COMING FROM.
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO INCORPORATE A SWITCH THAT COULD CONTROL POWER TO THE CROSSOVER SECTION SO I CAN POWER OFF THE SECTION TO ELIMINATE THE POSSIBLITY OF ACCIDENTS. BY USING A DPST SWITCH (AND A 2ND #200 RELAY), I COULD ALSO CONTROL 2 LEDs INDICATING WHICH CAB CONTROL IS POWERING THE CROSSOVER.
CAN SOMEONE ASSIST IN EITHER CONFIRMING MY WIRING SUSPICIONS OR TELLING ME I’M TOTALLY WRONG AND SUGGESTING WHAT I NEED TO DO? ALL COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

JEFF “POPS” SOMERFIELD
Attachments
crossovr wiring A.jpg
crossovr wiring A.jpg (246.33 KiB) Viewed 120 times
rwp2nd@gmail.com

Re: CROSSOVER SECTION DELEMA

Post by rwp2nd@gmail.com »

Jeff -
If I understand what it is you are trying to accomplish, I believe you could do it with one switch (3PDT ON/OFF/ON). Each “ON” position selects the segment you connect to the crossover (and lights the appropriate LED), and the center “OFF” position shuts down the crossover (and turns off LEDs) for your safety concern. See attached schematic.
Schematic.3.jpg
Schematic.3.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 7 times

Regards,
Ralph
Last edited by rwp2nd@gmail.com on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.