Need rewiring information for Triang engines

Drainbrain

Need rewiring information for Triang engines

Post by Drainbrain »

In need of rewiring information.
I have an old Triang yard switcher and a Triang steam engine X04. 1960s era up in Canada. As a youth (10 years old or so) I took a lot of things apart and didn't always get them back together. I've been packing them around for ever. Retired 4 years ago and dug out all my old train equipment and started rebuilding my train layout. I would love to get them running again. Any one have any ideas on how to wire them up? Also I know I need some wheel axle wheel insulators and some screws for the wheel drivers. Thanks for any help. Doug
SealionSteve

Re: Need rewiring information for Triang engines

Post by SealionSteve »

Tri-ang and Hornby (they merged to become Tri-ang Hornby then later became just Hornby) published "service sheets" for their models, which are available on several websites for free. I find www.hornbyguide.com very useful for these and other information, although they don't cover later models.

Certainly older Tri-ang ones are on there. The service sheets have an exploded diagram and part numbers for spares. Here in the UK there are a few places which provide spares for older models, you would need to do a bit of googling to see what is available.

X04 was the reference number for the standard motor used in many Tri-ang locos and I have several which are 50 or 60 years old and still work fine. They might need remagnetising or having a new magnet fitted. From memory the Yard Switcher used a different motor design, where one of the bogies incorporated the motor in a "power bogie".

Hope that is a useful starting point.

Steve
Drainbrain

Post by Drainbrain »

Thanks for the help Steve. I thought the post was dead! I'll look through the collection guide for the correct engines. I did find the wheel insulators on line but the site was in Britain and the postage incredibly expensive. I live in Alaska. I need a lot of parts for the Yard Switcher and a wiring schematic. For the Steam Engine screws and wheel insulators.
Again thanks for the information!
SealionSteve

Post by SealionSteve »

Hi

An idea which occurred to me regarding spares is to look out on e.g. e-Bay for "spares or repairs" locos which you can dismantle for parts. Many Tri-Ang locos had common parts (which you can check in the Service Sheets) so you wouldn't necessarily need the same model which you are restoring. You could also have a go at making some hard-to-find parts from scratch, although that would need a few (expensive) tools, confidence and a bit of luck in terms of having suitable raw materials to hand!

Posts in this forum do sometimes seem to have a time lag - not sure why!

Regards

Steve