Electrical Problem at, OR because of a turnout install?

IndyBob

Electrical Problem at, OR because of a turnout install?

Post by IndyBob »

Mechanical problem? I do fine fixing it, but electrical, …let’s say it is a huge challenge! I am a novice at 80 years old, and just starting in N gauge so I will do my best to understand any replies to my problem.
All my products are Kato, and the turnout is a #6 Kato. My transformer is from the M-1 Kato track pack. (my track is not installed but laying nicely on the level plywood top for now).

Here is the Problem:
I approach the #6 turnout installed in my main line, from the “divided” end of the turnout. I have total power past the turnout and when the train clears the “single end” of the turnout, I stop the train and prepare to reverse into the siding spur.
I have NO power PAST the turnout on the main line after I throw the rails to reverse into the siding spur. Loco will not move forward or reverse. With a voltmeter I found there is still power before the turnout, but dead past the turnout.

That #6 turnout is from the V-3 siding yard pack and my problem is loss of power after I clear the turnout. I have inspected the carefully inspected the rails, and looks like good rail contact when the switch is thrown.
NOTE: I followed advice on YouTube about insulating the split ends of the turn out, and dropping a feeder past those insulated points. That did not work either.
I then found out, with Kato turnouts; insulating those rails is not necessay, so I have reinstalled the Kato snap-in joiners again.

Right now my siding yard is just a cosmetic look to my layout.
I hope I can make it functional with some of the knowledge you all have.
Thanks, Bob AKA - indybob
SealionSteve

Re: Electrical Problem at, OR because of a turnout install?

Post by SealionSteve »

Are you feeding power to the main line AFTER the point has divided the track? If so, try moving the power feed to a position BEFORE the point divides the track.

Hope that helps.
IndyBob

Re: Electrical Problem at turnout install?

Post by IndyBob »

Hello and thank for your reply. I can't do anything till later today but I WILL add a feeder to that spur I want to back my train into. I see what you mean and I will reply after I have finished adding that feeder.
I freak out over the polarity, of course we are not dealing with high voltage here. I am only afraid of damaging my loco or transformer. That Kato transformer I assume has a built in circuit breaker for a short. (an amber light comes on) ... I had to push the reset button twice in messing with the T-out and the voltmeter. All seems OK.
I will be back and let you know later today or tomorrow! 8-) Thanks, IndyBob
IndyBob

Post by IndyBob »

Thank You SealionSteve. I made an ''executive decision" :roll: and put some chores on hold, so I could work on the layout and try what you said.
I was anxious because it just clicked when you said to drop a feeder AFTER the track divided. And WALLA,.... it is working :!: .
Thanks so much,
IndyBob
SealionSteve

Post by SealionSteve »

Glad it worked out for you!
Regards
Steve