A general discussion on wiring LEDS would be appreciated

H down under

A general discussion on wiring LEDS would be appreciated

Post by H down under »

Any chance of some discussion on wiring LEDS and the correct resistors to use. I am a complete novice.

The odd wiring diagram (for a person who is not electrically minded) would also be greatly appreciated

Many thanks Harry (from down under)
NonnyM

Re: A general discussion on wiring LEDS would be appreciated

Post by NonnyM »

A good place to start maybe a simple web search for beginners electronics say:

https://www.instructables.com/LEDs-for-Beginners/

Is as good as any and build from there. It’s not rocket science, more flash and a puff of smoke ;-)

I started there and made the decision to run a 12v and a 5 volt based circuits for lighting and signal because LEDs run at around these base voltages but will require quite different resistors to display the required brightness.

I am no expert, but it seems LEDs should always have a resistance connected , not a straight connection to a dc power source.

Cheap usable power sources are old telephone chargers.

As a start in exercise for lighting buildings I used a 9 volt charger and ribbon LEDs. These can be cut into a single strip of 3 lamps or run as a series of strips.

Next thing is to learn the art of soldering ! Another new and wondrous subject.

Rgds
bsuarez

Post by bsuarez »

Your resistor (whose value depends on source voltage and how much needs to drop) should always be connected to the cathode leg of the LED which is the shorter of the two legs. DC voltage flows from negative to positive so this way current hits the resister first.

For DCC installations where you are driving LEDs off of a decoder (which is typically a 12V output) a 1k resistor is typical.

For using LED lighting for signals, buildings, etc. you need to look at the source voltage and then what the LEDs want/need. The LED manufacturer should supply that information for you.
H down under

Post by H down under »

To Nonny M and Bsuarez. I am indebted to you both. I have already opened the web site and indexed it into my favourites, The studying is about to commence. The tip re the resistors is invaluable

I was already toying with the idea of using phone chargers as my lighting power source

Harry
bsuarez

Post by bsuarez »

Happy to help and have fun!