Rick’s been in touch again with his 4×8 HO layout:
Attached are photo updates for Grand Junction, the layout I built for my grandkids in our crawl space (4×8 HO layout).
As you can see, we’ve been busy adding details to the layout including finding pin-striping that was nearly a spot on match for road dividing lines and parking lot markings.
Someone asked in the previous post about the inclines I used in the layout and in case someone had not answered, they are from Woodland Scenics. While I like to create most of the scenery myself, these precut inclines are too good to pass up.
I also realized a part of this hobby I do not enjoy and that is ballasting switches. It seems no matter how much I brush away the excess, there seems to be a little piece that gets stuck in the switch which the trains do not like!
All in all, a great hobby supported by your ongoing articles and sheer fun we have with the grandkids.
So much so that as you can see in the final picture, I’ve already built another table and started an extension to the existing layout. The new track extends from switches in the tunnel and will roll around a few new houses, a church, another lake and a construction site.
More to follow as the new extension unfolds!
Thanks again for keeping us engaged with your reader’s posts!
A huge thanks to Rick – wonderful to see his 4×8 HO layout growing. Can’t wait to see the next one (his last post is here by the way).
It’s wonderful to see some of the printable buildings on a layout too.
I have been a silent reader of your hints and tips for some time.
I live in Australia and since retiring have moved into a unit (apartment) with a double garage underground. Because we have only one car there is a space where I have set up a layout.
It’s been 2 years of frustration because every time I came to run the trains, I would have to clean the tracks and even then the engines would stop in places. I told my cousin about it . He works in telecommunications. He suggested a product called no-ox-id. It’s a conductive grease. I put a little on the rails and on the wheels and after 2 circuits the engines were working smoother than they ever did. And what’s more, they work first time even after a few days.
Got a bit further with the layout and the re design, this shows adding ballast, painting it, and adding rust to the rails, then showing a new station Platform I built using the Peco Platform edging…
Thanks to Dave and Rick.
And if you feel you’re missing out on all the fun, the Beginner’s Guide is here.
That’s all for today folks, please do keep ’em coming.