Dick’s been back in touch – you can see his last post here.
I took up all track at Chicago, added 2’8″ length to the table so now it is 10’8″ by 2′ 6″ and relaid track.
Major changes to give a bit more feeling like this is the Union station stub end area.
The track is laid out, not fixed to the board nor rewired yet. Right now all but the last 3′ of each siding is Kato unitrack. I ran out of long straight sections right now.
Now there will be 3 inbound and 3 outbound tracks.
Also there will be diesel services, pullman storage, diner car service, baggage and mail loading, etc.
I may add two spurs in the empty corner area for industry and one more spur by the inbound throat area to hold the switcher for handling inbound train cars.
Or possibly use the empty corner for a turntable for turning locos and servicing needs. Leaning more towards industry spurs though as locos can run around the inside main track to be turned.
This gave me the chance to pull the thin cardboard back off that I had put under the track and did not like it.
Many feeders will be added to insure good DCC connectivity.
Later I will extend the Oakland Division at the other end of the layout another 5′ to give a much longer mainline run, right now Oakland is an end point only.
This is it for now, I hope to have more updates soon and I am still working on a layout diagram to send that can be seen well.
Thanks ever so much for your site Al, there is so much to enjoy from everyone.
I’m not sure if you remember me, I wrote to you a few months ago. After trying my luck at scratch building, I decided to try building a diorama.
Naturally, the diorama was based on two of my favorite things, Makers Mark bourbon and the Philadelphia Eagles.
Everything I did to construct the diorama was a first attempt. I have watched quite a bit of You Tube videos to learn the how to’s. I also used a lot of tips from Luke Towen.
I used Sculp-ta-mold for the ground form and used Luke’s home made ground cover applicator(i.e. a spray can top and a stocking). I used your printable roofs for the buildings. The property fence was made from matchsticks and sewing thread.
The buildings were scratch built from photo’s that were taken last year while I was visiting the Distillery in Loretta Kentucky.
I had a GREAT time creating this and can’t wait to start my long awaited layout.
I have included a few photos that I would like to share with you, and hopefully others.
A big thanks to Ernie and Dick.
I do love seeing your updates and creations – I hope you do too.
That’s all for today folks.
Please do keep ’em coming, it’s all getting very thin on the ground again this end.
And don’t forget, the Beginner’s Guide is here if you want to take your first step towards your own layout.