Ivan has been in touch after this reading this post about carriage interiors.
I was intrigued by the photos in the recent “Creating realistic interiors for your carriages” email article, I received recently.
I too have made additions to my passenger train. Several years ago I purchased a Bachmann Industries “Ohio River & Western Passenger Train Set” On30 Scale, to go around my Christmas Tree.
I also run an American Flyer #293 S scale train set, from my childhood, around the tree. The Bachmann engine was #12. I contacted the Ohio Railroad Historical Society and asked them what engines ran on the OR&W RW line. The last engine built to run on the line was a 2-6-0 Mogul.
Last year, I purchased a new engine, painted and unlettered, and added DCC sound to it. I attached new letters and the number 16 on my new engine. So, now I have the last engine which ran on the line from Bellaire, Ohio, which is close to Wheeling, WV to Zanesville/Cincinnati, Ohio.
Before Christmas, I noticed a roof on a passenger car was loose on one corner. I pulled up on it and it removed, exposing seats and pot belly stove in the back corner.
I ordered 50, O scale seated passengers and 50, ho scale passengers. When they arrived, I removed the tops on the 3 cars and glued the passengers, both adults and “children, ho” into the seats.
Various long tweezers are a must. Then I snapped the tops back on. The cars are lighted, so the passengers show up real well.
I also purchased O scale luggage to go in the baggage car. I am quite pleased with the results. I have ordered Engineer and a Fireman to add to the engine.
I have moved the trains to our family room downstairs and yes I still play in the floor with my trains. I am 71.
I am in the process of building my new around the wall layout.
I have taken down the old layout and have the benchwork for the new layout complete along with a basic 20 inch high background around the three walls. I am taking my time and trying to do everything right this time.
I have the track subbase established and while I was starting to lay the cork roadbed I came to the end of my station/yard area which is basically a 2x4ft piece of plywood then starts the cookie cutter subbase for the next section of tracks.
Although scenery is usually done last, I thought about what I was going to do about the abrupt change.
I came up with the idea of a storm drain area. So, I used some of the Masonite I have left from the background and created a basin.
I used a piece of PVC and a piece of 1x3in for the storm drain and surround.
I covered the basin with rock wall and pavement printouts. I built a curved bridge for the single track in front. The double main in the back will probably have the double main entering a tunnel at that point but that may change. Here are two pictures of the result.
This next picture is taken at a lower angle.
I think it turned out well. Now back to putting down more cork.
I have been taking pictures of my progress in building this new layout and will post more updates as I go along. I plan on creating complete documentation of the whole process.
And now on to Hall of fame member, Dangerous Dave:
Just a short video to show that we are still here and trying our best to keep going and entertain a few in these trying times.
I have been a bit busy lately as my wife injured her arm, so doing jobs I dont normal do (yes I know I should) but managed a few minutes up in the loft this afternoon, so just had to video a few trains running…
Hope you all have as best you can ..a Great Easter…
That’s all for today folks.
Please do keep ’em coming.
And don’t forget The Beginner’s Guide is here if today is the day you take your very first step on your very own layout.
Stay safe. Stay sane. Keep busy.