Seems Barry’s new plans really split the pack -so he’s kindly shared his thoughts:
The pics included only represent a potential track layout for the lower level but are not attached as you can see. You requested that I explain my layouts design purpose so I will try to do so below:
1) It’s being built mounted to wall to still allow space in the room for other purposes.
2) It’s (2) levels to double the amount of layout in the same space.
3) The double track helixes allow the trains access from one level to the other that are vertically 21.75 inches apart. They also allow the trains to
disappear for period of time (approx. 70.00 lin. Inches of track) on each
end of the layout to add to the realism and also hide from view the turnaround radiuses which visually define the layouts parameters. The helixes will be scenery covered mountains with visible tunnel entrances and exits.
4) The lower level will be an industrial scene with (2) mainlines and multiple sidings to stage extra complete trains to digitally called to enter or exit the mainlines and there will be several spurs to accommodate buildings.
5) The upper level will be a rural scene with (1) siding on each of the (2) mainlines and probably a couple of spurs.
6) The backdrops will be panoramic high resolution photographs printed to the required lengths. The upper is approx. 41 ft. and the lower is approx.
7) The upper backdrop and the train decks will be removable to access the electrical breaker panel and marked accordingly for safety and code.
8) Note that the backdrop corners are curved to create a more realistic flow of the photo backdrops and to avoid shadows.
9) All turnouts will be controlled by Tortoise under deck mounted switch machines with green or red lights on the layout control panel diagram at each turnout control toggle switch to indicate at a glance which way the switch position is.
10) The lower deck will be lighted by incandescent lights on a dimmer to simulate different sunlight conditions.
11) Stage II will be an additional 4 ft x 8 ft platform extending out from the center of the lower level to accommodate spurs and a (7) bay roundhouse with a powered turntable.
Hope this helps you and the viewers more clearly understand my design
A big thanks to Barry!
And don’t forget – latest ebay cheat sheet is here.