There are lots of basement train layouts on the blog – and Harper’s is getting an overhaul!
Thanks for your blog. Attached are some photos of my basement layout.
Due to your blog I’m inspired to overhaul it and convert to DCC.
I think the last photo shows it on its side to access the bottom, so I had to clean it anyway.
Next, on to Ernie, who has done a fab job on the print out buildings.
Just wanted to drop you a quick note to say “Thank you” for the great emails and tips. I have been enjoying them for quite awhile.
I had a great time putting together your printable buildings and watching John’s videos. I have included some pictures.
And now from basement train layouts to portable ones…
I’ve been working along on a portable layout I can take with me when we travel in our Winnebago motor home.
We usually ‘snow bird’ it in Galveston so I thought it would be convenient to have some of my trains along in the Winnie’s basement. That’s RV-speak for the storage space under the floor of the unit. That limits my storable size to 48 inches by 18 inches that can fold down to 6 inches deep.
I prefer to model at 1/48 scale, primarily ON30, but I dabble in 3-rail O-scale too.
Since the layout and rolling stock will likely take some abuse from riding in the RV, I felt that the 3-rail track, accessories and rolling stock would handle that better than my ON30 Bachmann gear.
I really like the Inglenook Switching puzzles and found that I could fit a 3-2-2 version onto an 8 foot by 1 1/2 foot space (Google ‘Inglenook switching puzzle’ for a more complete treatment of the topic).
I devised a set of procedures to set up switching scenarios that change in a random manner.
To make the switching experience more reallistic I added a siding on which to park the switcher as well as a run around. To operate the run around I came up with a removable 18 inch extension to attach to the right side of the layout for the locomotive. I have included a picture of the extension I made.
The track is a mix of O27 tubular track and Gargraves 3-rail track. The turnouts are old Lionel manual ones with targets on the throws that stick up above the surface. Due to the need for clearance when folding the layout I had to devise offset hinges so the throws would not get crushed. Another picture shows how I did that.
Thinking ahead to when I build scenery, I built buildings to cover the hinges when I’m operating. They appear in the other two pictures I took of the layout.
I now have the GWK switching yard ready to operate. That’s for the Galveston, Winnebago & Kansas Railroad, also, coincidentally, that’s my initials. For those interested, there was a narrow gauge railroad on Galveston Island in the early 1900’s.
Future plans are to document operation procedures for my version of Inglenook, test them with my grandkids then publish them here and improve the scenery quality.
I will be attempting to create a dead-rail battery powered locomotive by adding parts from a remote-control car to an old DC Lionel 0-4-0 loco. That would allow me to operate even when I’m camping in the boondocks.
Whether I’m successful or not I will share my work.
My thanks to Alistair for his efforts to promote our hobby, seeing what everyone else is doing keeps me thinking.
That’s all for today.
A big thanks to Harper for adding to the basement train layouts and too Gary and Ernie.
Please do keep ’em coming.
Don’t forget the Beginner’s Guide is here if you want to make a start, just like Harper did.