Jack’s been in touch again (his last post is here).
I wanted to make a fence from balsa strips I had, but wondered how to keep everything in alignment. I have a cutting board with lines on it. I taped cling wrap to the face hoping the wrap would keep the posts in alignment so I could attach the rails. That didn’t work, so I sprayed the wrap with spray glue. I could then line up the posts and glue the rails to them. When dry I could peel the fence from the wrap.
I didn’t like the cheap Bachmann switch controllers that came with the switches, so I bought a Piko switch controller. Much better quality.
I had been using an eye dropper to apply the diluted white glue solution to smaller areas of landscaping, but it didn’t hold much glue mixture. While at the pharmacy I noticed a child’s medicine dropper that holds up to 5ml. It was packaged with a medicine spoon which I found useful in spreading turf in concentrated areas.
And on the layout, a developer got a deal on some land by the tracks and is putting up two small houses.
That’s all for now.
I don’t know if you will show this and following emails as they will be radically different then the norm. It is a 96 feet long overhead (six feet off the floor) single track system around half of my basement. Overhead because the multiple hobby (leather, chain maille, archery, etc) workbenches are around the wall. This is only one of my many hobbies. I am not after reconstructing a specific city. What I want it to display the things that are interesting to me. Because it is six feet above the floor I will not be adding a lot of the scenery that is normally seen as it will not be seen from the floor.
The train used is a O gauge Realtrax Christmas kit, expanded with one rolling stock and about 80 feet of new track. Hanging the track base from the basement rafters was a real trick. The track had to be wide enough for the train, some houses and all the wiring (on the top, out of sight, instead of underneath). So layout all of the wood and track needed on the floor first. To ensure all the hanging hardware, the base, and enough of and the right track was available.
Then the process of mounting the hanging rails and piece by piece of the track base around the room. Painted the upper base green, no grass as it will normally not been seen anyway. Still process of painting the rest a gray for a visual eye disappearance. Put down the track with an electrical connection at each corner. Put the wiring down on the back edge upper side and connected all points. Tested the track with train and then screwed the track in place. Not being too critical on the mounting of the hanging pieces I have some high spots and low spots – great with small ups and downs.
Phase 2 (next email) is the background appearance to the train. Simple, cheap, and very different.
My word, a 96 foot layout. Can’t wait to see how it pans out – a huge project.
A big thanks to Jack and Lawrence. And if they’ve inspired you, the Beginner’s Guide is here.
That’s all this time folks.
Keep ’em coming.