Eric’s been busy on his N scale model railway:
I attempted to build a new layout a while ago after having to gut my old Wensdale layout.
Unfortunately I couldn’t get it to turn out to my liking, so I restarted from scratch, using just normal Peco setrack with gravelled underlay. The pictures show it from the start. figuring out in my head and not on paper how I wanted the tracks to run. Somehow I managed to fit five working tracks into the space. I dismantled my helix but kept the top farm board and also the main road on the back wall. The rest has just come together quite nicely and run well without accidents.
In this new scenario I opted for not having a station but kept a fiddle yard at the front with connecting rails so the engines can go from one track to another. As can be seen in the attached photos how it is coming together, yes even the joins. It has now reached a point where I need to fine tune the scenery. The later pics show less joins but a few are still obvious.
This layout is analogue with conventional wiring running off my eight controls, 5 for the tracks and 3 for the lights. The size is around 7 by 5 feet but with a solid wall by the farm board that the tracks have to go round. This time I have used studs for point switching on the 6 hidden points and find it much more positive than the old lever type switches, the hidden sections also light when the track in powered so I can see the points have changed. One thing I must add is that I have full access to all the tracks around the board, this means I have 8 lift away boards and 5 lift off pasterwork sections hence a lot of joins.
My only concern with myself is that I love designing the tracks and building it, the scenery although essential to give it body, I dislike meaning I am already thinking of a new layout even though this one has a way to go yet. Ah well we have to keep our minds active.
And here’s the video:
“Hey Al, I’ve been enjoying the pics n the tips. I have one of my own. I got your engine house after watching the how-to-video n thought I’d give it a go. When I finished it up, I thought, it needs down-spouts. I was going to use wooden dowel rods, but thought, years ago a lot of these buildings had brass or copper for rain gutters. I took the rails off 2 old pieces of track n cut to length. I used the rail as the back, sliced a grove down the wall for the rail to set in. Cut just the slightest part of the rail near the end n it turned up ever so slightly n then I super-glued it in the grove. Now I just need to figure out how to get that dirty greenish aged look.
Bob has done a sterling job on the engine shed – unlike myself, because I still haven’t got the shed on the site at the full price.
So I thought I’d mail it again for the discount price – you can grab it here. Fingers crossed and it’ll be on the site on Tuesday.
Thanks to everyone – I really enjoyed Eric’s new layout, the video really does it justice.
That’s all this time folks. Please do keep ’em coming.
And if Bob’s engine shed has got you on the verge of starting your layout, good, because it’s all about starting: the Beginner’s Guide is here.