Before you get busy with your model train paint – there is another way.
Peter shows us how he gets a fabulous effect on his locos.
You may remember Peter from his last post, which is here.
Further to the last article on transfers for locomotives etc..
When I used transparent A4 vinyl self adhesive paper…printed on the ink jet printer..
But this paper was too thick to follow the ribbed contours on the loco side…and just went across them.
There were a couple of people in Germany who were using proper decal paper..
And their results were exceptional…
I made contact with them and managed to get some information on how to do these transfers..–
I had to obtain the decal paper from a source in Germany who gave the thickness of the paper [12 microns] [7 micron paper is too thin and not easily manageable]..
No one I approached in the UK was able to give this information, out of dozens of companies I approached..
This decal paper follows the ribbed lines on the side of the loco..[Swiss re 460/465 loco’s]
The decal paper I purchased was for laser jet printing…hence the inks do not run when placed in water…
It takes a lot of practice and I am still on a learning curve..
With this virus pandemic, it is now difficult to purchase the paper and the printing shops I used are now closed..
The original logo’s on the loco’s have to be air brushed out, first with a grey primer and then white..
All the art work was done in Coral Draw..
Attached some pictures along with the real live loco’s
A big thanks to Peter. Now on to Ivan:
I was intrigued by the photos in the recent “Creating realistic interiors for your carriages” email article, I received recently.
I too have made additions to my passenger train. Several years ago I purchased a Bachmann Industries “Ohio River & Western Passenger Train Set” On30 Scale.
I also run an American Flyer #293 S scale train set, from my childhood, around the tree. The Bachmann engine was #12. I contacted the Ohio Railroad Historical Society and asked them what engines ran on the OR&W RW line. The last engine built to run on the line was a 2-6-0 Mogul.
Last year, I purchased a new engine, painted and unlettered, and added DCC sound to it. I attached new letters and the number 16 on my new engine. So, now I have the last engine which ran on the line from Bellaire, Ohio, which is close to Wheeling, WV to Zanesville/Cincinnati, Ohio.
I noticed a roof on a passenger car was loose on one corner. I pulled up on it and it removed, exposing seats and pot belly stove in the back corner.
I ordered 50, O scale seated passengers and 50, ho scale passengers. When they arrived, I removed the tops on the 3 cars and glued the passengers, both adults and “children, ho” into the seats.
Various long tweezers are a must. Then I snapped the tops back on. The cars are lighted, so the passengers show up real well.
I also purchased O scale luggage to go in the baggage car. I am quite pleased with the results. I have ordered Engineer and a Fireman to add to the engine.
I have moved the trains to our family room downstairs and yes I still play in the floor with my trains. I am 71.
A big thank you to Peter for sharing his model train paint alternative. And to Ivan too.
That’s all for today folks – please do keep ’em coming.
And don’t forget the Beginner’s Guide is here if you want to get going on your own layout.