I continue to be inspired and educated by your generous postings of model railroaders.
Thought I’d send some new pictures of buildings I have completed and some misc shots.
A tip I remembered from one of your followers was to break up charcoal briquettes and use the debris as coal loads. One picture has a gondola with the charcoal load. I used old poster board to make a false bottom in the car, painted it black, then sprinkled the charcoal over the board, adding droplets of 50/50 water and white glue to hold everything in place.
The electric sub-station pictured is hand made from balsa wood. The insulators are made from tiny springs I found in a local craft store, pulled apart a little with pliers, then inserted with a small dowel rod and painted white. The cyclone fence is made with Needle point cloth and posts are eye-pins also found in local craft store. The needle point cloth can be bent and folded which is how I created the gate entrance.
None of this is perfect but achieves the look I was going for. Again, I have incorporated a number of techniques I found from reading your posts. A little hint here and there and you simply let your imagination and experimentation take over.
The Gulf Gas Station was my first attempt at an etched brass kit. After gaining some courage over the past year and a half, I dove in to the construction. A real challenge after building plastic kits and kit-bashing. These brass kits require the use of special glue. (super glue products); styrene glue won’t work. I made some mistakes during the process, not to mention getting super glue on my fingers but I am okay with the finished product and my fingers have healed nicely. I also purchased a light-up kit that goes with this station and it is quite striking when lit up. My only advice with brass kits is to very carefully follow the directions. These kits are not as forgiving as plastic. If anyone is interested, the brass kit and lighting are from Miller Engineering.
My layout is HO scale and I used actual photos of electric sub-stations and spec info I found on line to try to get to actual scale as I could.
Thanks for all you do. Hope you enjoy the pics.
A huge thank you to Wayne – it’s very satisfying to read about the blog helping folk with their layout. I thought his sub station is amazing – it just goes to show what you can create with a little imagination. Can’t wait to see the updates!
And now on to Dangerous Dave.
I get a steady trickle of emails asking why he’s called ‘Dangerous Dave’ – it’s because he’s rather accident prone.
(If you’re new to the blog and you’re wondering who he is, have a look in the Hall of Fame.)
Here he is, living up to his name, while building his stunning loft layout:
“Hi Al , just come across these pictures (clearing a few things out )… it’s when i decided to have a quick route from the loft ..LOL ..broke 3 ribs on the way down… now you know how the nickname got started
…4 months later as my ribs had healed and went back up there to continue, I accidentally drilled through a water pipe… unfortunately being a Sunday could not get a plumber, but repaired it myself, dried it all out new connections fitted, seemed to be OK, turned water back on, went outside to clean up , after half hour walked indoors to find a waterfall coming down from the loft in to the lounge, and this was 4 weeks before Xmas …
and of course a week later the plaster board started to drop had to shore the lot up with jacks and planks ,and then have a complete new ceiling fitted.. new plasterboard the lot… the nick name stuck… and 2 months later hit an electrical cable running under my new flooring… sort of blew all my lights… so now my wife insists on any work carried out is done by professionals LOL …
Dave (not as Dangerous now)
Well, I’m glad Dave persevered, but he’s made some fantastic videos and also been really helpful with the Beginner’s Guide too.
So here’s one of his videos with Dave at his best:
That’s all this time folks. Don’t forget if there is something you want to share, just hit reply to any of my emails.
Keep ’em coming.